Saturday, April 2, 2011

Finding Balance

For the past 10 days I've been lucky enough to have visitors staying at my house! My brother, Jon-Jon, Sister, Kimmy, and friend, Amanda.  It was so great to have them here.  Whether you have company at your house, or you are company at a friends house, there are most likely going to be changes in your diet and need for some compromise.  I am at a place where I am trying to maintain my weight, so there is a little room for flexibility. While my family was in town, we had ice cream, pizza, and even fast food one day!  Not the best choices, but the key is moderation.  I use an app on my iphone called "Myfitnesspal" which has been so helpful. I have a daily calorie goal and I keep track of everything that goes into my mouth, as well as daily workouts.  Keeping track of every single calorie is a great motivational tool to help you make good choices and control portions when you are going to splurge.  One day while we were out shopping I had pizza for lunch.  I limited myself to one large slice and cut a few calories in other areas that day so I was still able to meet my goal.  When ordering fast food, instead of buying kids meals for my boys and a meal for myself, I bought one meal and split it between the three of us.  And when having ice cream, as hard as it was, I limited myself to one scoop in a cone.  It's important to have balance and make sure these kinds of splurges are "exceptions" that you make every now and then, but definitely not the norm. 

Healthy foods can taste great too! We enjoyed a healthy dinner every night while my family was in town. Here are two of my favorites.

                                                    Asian Chicken Salad

Seasoned Grilled Chicken
Romain Lettuce
Carrots
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Raw Ramen Noodles
Almond slices
Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
Panera Asian Sesame dressing


Large serving with 2 tablespoons of dressing only 405 calories!!!


Jon-Jon, Kimmy, & Amanda eating dinner and being silly.

This one is very simple. 
Grill Tilapia seasoned with a little garlic salt and black pepper, drizzle with light Alfredo sauce and garnish with chives.  Serve with sauteed yellow & zucchini squash and brown rice. 


Large serving with two 4oz fish fillets only 405 calories.


Don't get stuck in a rut cooking the same things over and over.  The more exciting your healthy food options are, the less likely you are to splurge on the bad foods.  Swap recipes and ideas with your friends and family, or look up a recipe in a book and try something brand new.  Don't be afraid to branch out and try things you wouldn't normally eat.

2 comments:

  1. did you say that the salad was only 40 calories? is that a typo?

    everyone that's reading can take it from me, both of those meals shown tasted amazzzzzing. and filling too! and healthy. which is usually pretty hard to find a combination of those three. so, consider yourself lucky.

    ReplyDelete