Friday, March 18, 2011

Make It Work

There are two kinds of excuses for me when it comes to making healthy lifestyle choices.  1) The kind that even as I'm telling them to myself I know they are solely created to make me feel better about whatever it is I'm wanting to do.  2) The more legitimate excuses like being a mom and a wife who works full time and would like as much time with my family as possible.  But they are both excuses!  If something is a priority, then you will find ways to make it work. 

Ever since I became a mom it has been a struggle to find time for workouts.  I feel guilty taking time away from my kids.  My husband and I decided to join a gym together and it has been wonderful.  The childcare area is called "Kid Zone" and my boys look forward to going most of the time.  Even though the kids don't mind going I still began to feel bad getting home so late and not having very long to play with them before bedtime.  At work, I have an hour lunch break every day that I really don't need (because I pack a lunch and eat while I'm working) so I decided to start running during that hour.  It actually gives me more energy for the afternoon and it's wonderful to leave work, go home with my family, and have my workout behind me!

A few weeks after I started running on my lunch break my sister in law (who works at the same school) suggested that we workout in the school gym to a zumba video a few days a week.  The director approved, and it quickly turned into a regular zumba class 3 days a week!  There were 8 participants today and even more that plan to join next week.  You never know what's possible until you ask!

This week I'm going to share a dinner recipe and a dessert idea. 

Veggie Pasta With Turkey Sausage
As you can see there are not very many ingredients.  It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.  I use whole grain pasta, heart smart spaghetti sauce, and butterball turkey sausage.  Choose any veggies you like. I use squash, zucchini, onion, red pepper, and fresh garlic. 


Saute veggies and turkey sausage with a little olive oil and black pepper. Add spaghetti sauce once veggies are fully cooked.   Boil pasta in a separate pot. 
 When finished put them together, add a little Parmesan if you like, and 1 large serving (shown in picture) is only 405 calories.  My husband and boys both approve of this dinner : )


very simple dessert that I like to have requires only 3 ingredients:  Vanilla yogurt, fresh fruit, and crushed graham crackers.  If using Danon light&fit yogurt, the serving shown in the picture below is just 125 calories.  And it's delicious!

Tip of the week:  Try Natures Own Honey Wheat 40 calorie bread.  Some low calorie bread, to be honest, tastes like cardboard.  This one does not!  It's very tasty and a great way to make low calorie sandwiches for lunch.  This is not a commercial, I just really love this bread and use it all the time : )

Don't forget to share your own tips and recipes with me! 

4 comments:

  1. That pasta dish looks awesome. I don't think I've ever done it with turkey sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, you're so creative. and all of that looks amazzzzingly delsih!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimbosha made your dessert tonight and loved it. I do believe there are enough ingredients left over that I can try it tomorrow! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're much better at cooking than you used to be....

    ReplyDelete